The mission of the GREATER MILFORD AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY is to collect, preserve, interpret and promote the history of the greater Milford (and Miami Township), Ohio area.
GMAHS began life in 1967 as Old Milford Incorporated when a few business people in the town decided that it was time to emphasize the history of Milford. Later, the Society purchased the property at 114 Main Street for use as a small historic museum, using only the second floor and renting the first floor to a lawyer. The collection grew to the point where it could fill the whole building and so the space was remodeled to a historic house museum. In 1983 James Kirgan left his home, Promont, to the Society in his will. After initial renovations, the Society and its growing collection moved into the mansion at 906 Main Street.
Since the move to Promont, the Historical Society has made many important accomplishments: a new roof; interior remodel of the historic house to the tenancy dates of its most famous resident, 43rd Governor John M Pattison 1879-1906; restoration of the portico; state-of-the-art heating and cooling system; removal of the exterior lead-based paint and restoration of the outside of the house, including storm windows; repair of the veranda.
In addition to improvements to Promont, the Society has expanded its historical programs and collaborative initiatives in the community. The GMAHS is especially proud of its Partners-In-Education programs in the Milford schools, an award winning effort of volunteers, and of the project to record oral histories of local residents.
The GMAHS meets the first Thursday of the month at the Sibcy-Cline Office at Mulberry Square, for a pot luck dinner followed by a presentation on a variety of interesting historical subjects.