GMAHS is excited to host the RiverCity Quilt Guild and its
2018 Harper Quilt Exhibit
1-4 PM each day
$5 admission per person – at the door
What to expect…
Over 70 quilt panels inspired by American Modernist art by
Charley and Edie Harper
“We’re very excited that the RiverCity Quilt Guild is returning to Promont,” commented Donna Amann, administrator, GMAHS. “The Guild has expanded its Harper collection to also include quilt works based on art by Edie Harper, Charley’s wife. Two of the quilts in the exhibit will interpret Edie’s Crazy Cat/Crazy Quilt and Fishful Thinking paintings. The exhibit is colorful and playful and a delight to all who love the American Modernist styles of Charley and Edie Harper.”
Of particular note:
- This is the 10th year for RCQG to present the Charley Harper quilt collection. The guild’s motivation is to challenge and help each other try new skills and to gain awareness for, and interest in, the guild. RCQG membership information will be available at the show.
- Over 70 quilt panels will be on display, the largest measuring approximately 33×36 inches and the smallest 9×11 inches. A few of the more recent works include: Backscratching In the Baboondocks, Fawn-A Time to be Born, Ternscape and Sea Side Standoff based on Charley Harper works; and Crazy Cat/Crazy Quilt and Fishful Thinking based on art by Edie Harper.
- Also on display will be the collection of 2017 Viewer’s Choice Award Winners including Pier Group (first place) and Birdfeeders (second place); and a tie for third place between The Fawn and the Beagle.
- RCQG does not use commercial Charley Harper quilt patterns. Members choose a Harper art piece as inspiration and then create unique patterns based on an individual interpretation of the art. All panels demonstrate a focus on art and technique.
- Techniques include machine and hand applique, machine piecing and machine or hand quilting.
- Quilts are for exhibit, not for sale.
- A selection of Harper artworks will be presented by Row House Gallery & Custom Framing to complement the exhibit. These works will be available for sale.
- The Promont gift shop will feature selected Harper gift items.